- The journey home, to the Shire, saw the wizard and the hobbit reaching Rivendell on the evening of May 1st, back to the same silly singing of the Elves from the house of Elrond.
- Gandalf regaled the denizens of the house with the quest, and his own adventure – which Bilbo had not been privy to. More tales were told, but of course despite being in a premium seat, Bilbo nodded his way through it.
- Bilbo awoke, by himself, still on Ravenhill.
- He was found by a searcher, a Man, and apparently hadn’t been found earlier because he had his Ring on.
- Gandalf certainly trusted in his ability to survive. He had been counted among the dead and the Man was on one last search for him.
- The Man was clearly a strong healthy guy, he carried Bilbo, at speed, back down to the camp.
Reader deep thought: The ultimate song-and-dance number aka while having too many cooks spoil the broth, one diva is all it takes to make it all about him.
- Early the next day, banner standards were brought up to the Front Gate of Erebor, with both chiefs in attendance.
- Thorin was smug in the surety of Dain’s arrival swinging things in his favour and was displeased to see the Elves still among the Men.