So I got my second ever connector mail, and it turned out to be a nomination for something called The Liebster Award.
I’ve followed Umbreen for months but shamefacedly, I can’t say much for Umbreen’s blog except: all ye nerds and nerd-friends, proceed to read her blog (after reading this post please). Because I somehow unknowingly dropped her from my follow list for goodness knows how long.
In her award response and nomination post here, her nom for this blog reads:
Lurker in the Mirk – for any Tolkien nerd
From one nerd to another: that sounds about right. Short and sweet too. Go us, go nerds!
What is the Liebster Award?
From the Official Website:
“The Liebster Award was created to recognize and/or discover other bloggers.
It has German origins – the word “liebster” has several definitions: dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, welcome, sweetheart and boyfriend.
The choice lies within each of us to ACCEPT it, and continue PAYING IT FORWARD or to refuse to accept it, thereby STOPPING or INTERRUPTING the chain. However, if you stop the chain, you are only hurting yourself.
I would like to add that you can nominate someone who already has been given this award, as long as they have less than 1000 followers/subscribers. The idea behind this award is to recognize new bloggers and help promote them! The benefit is that you get from doing this is that you get some promotion, too! (Think about it, if they are obligated to link to you, then whomever lands on their site could also click the link and land on yours. If you multiply the number of people who can potentially see and land on your blog, you can clearly see that you will get more readers, more business and reach more people. This is just another way to help get your blog “out there”!) ”
Lurker’s co-opting of Umbreen’s addition: That sounds a little pushy up there, so I’d like to add that if you don’t choose to write a post in response, I won’t judge you at all. I’ve been nominated for the Versatile Blogger Awards a couple times, and I never wrote an official “acceptance post” just because this generally isn’t my kind of thing. Zyrogate Faine’s nomination post was so interesting for me to read that I thought it would be fun to write one, and that is the only reason I am doing so in this case. So no pressure, okay? If you do decide to accept the nomination, I’ve posted the rules at the end of the post.
My replies to Umbreen’s questions
1. When and why did you start your blog?
When: Last June, thereabouts. This isn’t my first experience with blogging nor my first wordpress blog. Long story for another time.
Why: The inner nerd needed an outlet. And the muses-in-the-head were wrecking bloody havoc.
2. What is your favorite book and/or movie genre? Why?
Book: Well, books, really. SF/Fantasy is my preference but I’ll read anything good, cross genres, cross audience, if it gets recc’d to me. Some stuff I really like: Tailchaser’s Song (cat lovers have to read this one), Howl’s Moving Castle (anything by Diana Wynn Jones basically, rest her soul), The Darkangel trilogy, Anansi Boys, Stardust, Mordant’s Need, The Dragon and the George, Nine Princes in Amber, The Light Princess. And in case it’s not obvious, The Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion.
And representing SF: Dune, Ender’s Game, The Uplift War, Galactic Center Saga, The Winds of Altair.
For balance: White Fang, The Tailypo, Going Postal, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Movie Genre: Diverse – anything that can hold its own really (Blackfish & Redemption – must watch of the world!, District 9, How To Train Your Dragon, Primal Fear, The Expendables, The Incredibles, Grand Budapest Hotel, Star Wars Episodes IV – VI, American Psycho, Amelie, Fight Club, R.E.D., The Fall, Constantine, Horrible Bosses, Gladiator, The Green Mile, The Dark Knight, the Lord of the Rings trilogy (and parts of the Hobbit trilogy), The Cornetto Trilogy. But if it must be defined, then Action/Adventure. Bonus if it’s intelligent, or there’s an actual plotline. Because why not? I don’t see why we should leave it to guys to have all the rip-roaring fun.
3. If you could choose to have any superpower, would you? If yes, what would it be and why? If no, why not?
Yup. Fly. I love to travel, but can’t afford air-tix.
4. What is your biggest pet peeve?
5. Name one of your guilty pleasures. Why is it a “guilty” pleasure?
Potato chips flavoured with chilli powder. Death by carbicide, and I get blooming fever-causing sore-throats if I forget to douse myself with antidotes.
6. What is your favorite time of day and why?
Morning on a Sunday. It feels good to wake up because you want to.
7. What is your favorite season of the year and why?
8. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?
Seattle. It’s been highly recommended by more than one person, and seems right up my alley (see response to 7).
9. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
10. What is the best compliment you have ever received?
Erm… that’s a tough one. I’m funny… if only my humour isn’t so obtuse?
11. What is the weirdest/most unique thing you have ever eaten? Would you eat it again?
As an ethnic Chinese, unstereotypically, I am quite a fussy eater. Still, I’ve eaten some funky things before I gave up meat. But it depends on what’s the reference source, like this decidedly catered for westerners list, out of this list of 40 indigenous dishes, I refuse to touch 34, don’t care much for 5. 38 out of 40. Not too bad. But I’ve exasperated friends and family often enough to know I would be handed over to the immigration authorities without qualms, if not for the photo on my national identification card somewhat resembling my nerdy mug.
11 Facts About Myself
- I combust when the ambient temperature gets over 30 degree Celsius
- I living one degree north of the equator
- I live life on the edge
- My bodily functions shut down in wintry conditions
- I am a weather scrooge
- I am never acting my age
- I am a minion of cats
- I am allergic to fur
- Did I mention I live life on the ledge?
- Aside from my fussy eating habits, my authenticity as a citizen of this overcrowded hothouse of an island is suspect because I really can’t stand what locals would give a nose and a leg for. (You’re better off not knowing what it is if you are clueless)
- I love the Big Bang Theory, Pushing Daisies, and the X-files.
My blog noms:
A real-life blog about dating, Middle-earth style. Tagline: The quest for the one ring. What more needs be said? Absolutely better than reality TV.
The blog that mitigates my despair with the raging worship of all things uncanonical about Middle-earth on tumblr. Humour can be had without ditching canon, and fangirls needn’t dumb down just to have fun.
(in)correct tolkien quotes
The reference site for the amnesiac Tolkien nerd.
Questions for my dear nommies:
1. How old is your blog? Does it still serve the theme you started it for? If not, what’s changed?
2. Real life notwithstanding, what would you really be doing?
3. Which real-life person, alive or passed, inspires you? Why?
4. Nature or nurture?
5. Absolute favourite thing in the world. Why?
6. Name a favourite blog that has nothing to do with the theme of your blog. Why do you like it?
7. Tea or coffee?
8. What’s your navel-gazing pleasure?
9. Taters, precious! Mash, roasted, chips or french? Describe your favourite way to eat it.
10. What’s the most insidious earworm you ever got infected with, or perpetuated?
11. What one major historical event would you change? How would you do it?
Official Rules of the Liebster Award:
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award and you choose to accept it, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget.” (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
Create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
List these rules in your post. (You can copy and paste from here.)
Once you have written and published it, you then have to inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!).
– THANK YOU –